Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Public Library and missing home...

I have always loved libraries -- sure enough, when I got to Dartmouth I checked to see where the library was...a mere 10 minute walk from the B&B. After trekking around Halifax for the day (more later) I arrived at the library just to look around. Seems if I ask very nicely they will give me a temporary (1 hour) membership to use the internet. One time per day, only. That is awesome!

Just spoke to Dad on the phone to check-in -- haven't done that this whole vacation. Figured no news was good news and he had all the pertinent dates/phone numbers. Was great to hear his voice. All is well at the homestead -- he said he and Sassy are great buds and will give her some extra pets for me. Talked baseball (of course) and caught up with all his doings.

As for Halifax, took the FRED (Free Ride Everywhere Downtime) to check out where things were -- the Citadel is on a HUGE hill and I may check it out tomorrow. Picked up a bohemian lunch and at it at the Cornwallis Park and listened/watched a bunch of kids play with their dads. Must've been a special dad/kid day or something. Was good to hear children laughter again.

Walked down to Pier 21 (great historical site of immigrants) but there was a line to get in so I headed towards the Maritime museum. Made a stop at a wine cellary to find out how to get Jost Wine in the states. Will have to have Kip/Kathy Earney order it from West End Liquor direct from Nova Scotia -- worth it, trust me!

Found a place processing Rum -- what an amazing smell! Very educational, too. All about the Rum runs of old. Purchased and had sent home 2 rum cakes -- one original and one made from that great Breton Single Malt scotch -- should arrive about 2 weeks after I do!

Spent the huge part of the day at the Maritime Museum touring the Halifax explosion section and going on a tour. Check out this web page to find out what drew me to Nova Scotia in the first place: http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion

Heading back to the Celtic Corner in a bit for a pint of Keith's Indian Pale Ale (yes, there is a brewery here but its lower on my list for tomorrow as I'm hoping to hit the Citadel, the Public Gardens and the Peace Pavillion -- plus I have to arrange to ship some things home before the post closes tomorrow night!). Hopefully some more live music tonight. Been eating okay -- walking a ton and making sure I get a good cardio walk in before the tourista strolling! Clothes fit okay so far so must be doing okay. Remembering General Jenny's adage: all things in moderation and exercise exercise exercise. I can tell I haven't done any weightlifting as my left arm/shoulder is very very sore. Spend a few minutes each morning and evening doing my exercises and stretching (thanks, Dr. Torchia!).

Have decided to tackle the Citadel Hill tomorrow as my cardio -- yikes! Feel free to pray for me!

Hope to catch up with Laura later tonight and burn some of my saved photos to a CD.

Well, that about does it here for now. The sunsets are amazing -- I found some apartments (overlooking the Keith's brewery and amazingly close to the harbor) for rent -- quite reasonable! I suppose since the internet service here is very good (as oppossed to Newfoundland or Cape Breton) I'd have to set=up my Mayo Martime Atlantic station in Halifax! I wonder how Marty/Joanne will feel about that??

Oh! Some news for Sam Frick -- there is a tug here by the name of Theodore! I took photos of me and Theodore and will email them to your Mommy when I get back to Minnesota this weekend. Note for Kate Bailey -- picked up some coloring pictures for you as well as crayons! Cubbies and crew -- sent Newfie candies from Doyles, NL last week. The post mistress said it could take weeks!!! It will be like Christmas!

Miss you all. Even kinda miss work (okay, not really and Marty, I have forgotten my password so vacation time must almost be up!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home