Thursday, August 31, 2006

Minnesota or Newfoundland? Tough call...

I think my family will be glad that I discovered Minnesota before Newfoundland. The people, location and food seemed like home to me. Were invited to a local talent night on the way to the night ferry so stopped in and listened to some "newfie" music. Met Dion and the Garage Band (pronounced "Gay-redge"). Saw several people there we had met in Codroy Valley -- Melinda and Bernadette from the tea house

Got some great recipes there -- Flaky, Jigg's Dinner and Pease Pudding -- guess what? I now know what Pease Porridge Pot means! Remember? Pease Porridge Hot, Pease Porridge Cold, Pease Porridge in the pot 9 days old. Some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 9 days old!" It is a split pea recipe cooked in a bag. I picked up a kit and am ready to give it a try when I come home!

Also saw the lighthouse keeper's wife there as well as people from the grocery store (no dried cod flakes or salt beef for traveling will try else where!). Met several locals and loved the music. They even did a shout out to the "Girls from Minnesota". Will upload pics of Newfoundland later.

Sitting in a cafe waiting for Laura to do some laundry down the street. We are in Baddeck, NS just off the Cabot Trail after crossing the ocean last night. I was able to do my laundry at the light house one day while Laura was out exploring shopping in NL. I had a quiet day at Cape Anguille/Codroy having tea with some folks, taking long hikes and just listening to the ocean. So far, my favorite day.

The folks in Codroy were great, though. Carol and her niece Carol took great care of us and their scores of aunts/sisters dropped by. Carol made me a crocheted washcloth and stove towel as a going away gift. We traded recipes and addresses.

I truly hope to make it back there someday. The "Carols" and I agreed we felt like family. Kewl beans.

Oh! Sent a ton of stuff home (food stuffs, books, a few souvenirs) and it should arrive in 7-10 days. Sending off postcards today so be looking for them.

Miss you but am enjoying myself a bunch. Now, if I could just figure out a way to make a Mayo way station in Newfoundland...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home